Thursday, July 31, 2008

Breaux Vineyard 2003 Cabernet Sauvignon


Quite simply, one of the best wines I've had in a long time.

Aged 30 months in oak barrels, unusually long contact maintained with the grapes skins - this is what they mean when you hear people talk about "tannins". Still, eminently drinkable. This was our only bottle - now I want to go back up to Leesburg and buy one or two more to save.

Breaux Vineyards itself is really a gem. Everything we had there was great - easily one of our favorites.

We also recently had a Sterling Vineyards Chardonnay - its a California winery that you can find in most grocery stores. Very good as well - it has that buttery/vanilla character to it that chardonnays aged in oak get (wines aged in stainless steel don't get the same contact with oxygen, giving it a "crisper" taste... I like to think of it in beer terms: "oak aged wine : ales :: stainless steel aged wine : lagers").

In terms of beer... haven't had anything new lately, but I have bottled my beach lager, and the bottles are already rock hard - which means the carbonation has begun! Soon I'll brew the "blonde bombshell" wheat ale that Evan and Tricia got me.

No comments: