Friday, August 8, 2008

China Data

So as I often do, I was trolling the internet for interesting data sources today, and came across China's national statistics site. They are surprisingly up front with a lot of statistics going back over a decade. I was really impressed and interested. Not sure how accurate the stats are - that probably merits a little investigation - but they have neat stuff.

I'm especially interested in data they have on "scienitifc research institutions", number of staff at these institutions, funding of the institutions, and % government expenditures on the institutions for each province each year since 1995. I'm kind of curious to see how balanced their investment in science and technology is - because a criticism often leveled against China is that it does not balance development between the country and the urban areas. I wonder if that holds true in science and tech too.

No comments: